5, Lengkungan Brunei, Pudu
55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel : 6018-215 9935
FB : Cafe 5 Pudu
Business Hours :
Mon – Sun 12 noon – 10 p.m.
Thanks to the wonderful invitation, I recently went to check out Cafe 5, a cosy Belgian Liege waffle specialized cafe that is located at Pudu, one of the Kuala Lumpur’s historical town.
In the late 18th century, the Prince-Bishop of Liege requested that his chef take the newly-invented pearl sugar and create a special treat with it. Inspiration struck, and the chef had the brilliant idea to mix the sugar and some vanilla into a rich dough then cook it as a waffle. Simply smelling it baking, the Prince-Bishop was delighted, and his love of this new creation helped quickly popularize it within Liege and beyond.
Aromatic Butter (RM10), waffles with butter and assorted spices. as well as 7 others main ingredients including :
* Pearl Sugar – soft and caramalized when baked in waffle maker, give crunch to the exterior of waffle
* Molasses Sugar – lower in calories and contains traces of vitamin B, calcium and iron, which is not found in white sugar
* Kampung Eggs – less cholesterol, less saturated fat, more vitamin A and E, higher content of omega-3 fatty acids and more beta-carotene
* Vanilla Bean from Madagascar – rich, dark and creamy with an overwhelming sweet, buttery aroma
* Butter from Australia – 100% dairy cow milk, improve flavour, provide moist, tender texture with richer taste
Murakami (RM15), waffles with flamed takoyaki sauce, Japanese mayonnaise and spices then topped with bonito flakes. An adaptation of brioche bread dough, the waffles are richer, denser and chewier, with chunks of pearl sugar which caramelized faintly crunch on the outside of the waffle when baked.
PB Bunk (RM15), waffles with chocolate peanut butter and sliced banana. Cafe 5’s Belgian Liege waffles are made using the traditional yeast fermentation method for more than 20 hours. This is to ensure the development of natural texture, flavour and aroma in the waffle.
Longer fermentation allows gluten protein to break down and form elastic network. It is also healthier as bakery product with longer natural fermentation can improve one’s digestibility in small intestine.
Good for sharing between 3-4 pax, this Willy Wonka (RM38) consists of waffles with Belgian chocolate fondue, strawberry, banana, marshmallow, and 3 scoops of ice creams. These hand-crafted premium ice creams were made of natural ingredients, with flavours like Alfronso Mango, French Vanilla, Crazy Chocolate and Salted Eggyolk & Curry Leaf.
By the way, Cafe 5 is using coffee beans 50% Brazil Mountain Mogiana and 50% Guatemala SHB Huehuetenango City Roasted, which has a chocolaty, nutty flavour with hints of caram
More photos at FOOD Malaysia facebook page, a Malaysian food & lifestyle blogger since 2010