FB : Fonterra
Thanks for the wonderful invitation, I recently went to a recipe demostration event by Fernleaf, introducing three wonderful ways to enjoy Payasam in conjunction with Deepavali on the 30th of October.
Payasam is a must-have for all auspicious Indian occassions, and is a classic dessert. Although it is known in various names and is prepared using varied recipes, the main ingredient for Payasam is milk, usually thickened with rice or vermicelli, with ghee added for fragrance and sugar to bring it all together. Interestingly, Payasam in sanskrit means milk.
Chef Annette Isaac, who is of part Indian and part Eurasian heritage, demostrated how to give an exciting twist to the traditional favourite by creating the classic Fernleaf Payasam, Fernleaf Payasam Pudding and Fernleaf Payasam Ice Cream. The delicious Payasam was added with Gula Melaka, a type of local palm sugar for extra depth in flavour.
Payasam Recipe – Ingredients
* Sago (1/2 cup)
* Water (2 cups)
* Fernleaf Full Cream Milk Powder (8 tbsp)
* Gula Melaka (1 cup) and Water (3 cups) combine well
* Cardomom Powder (1/2 tsp)
* Safron (a pinch – optional)
* Ghee (1 tbsp)
* Cashew Nuts (1/4 cup)
* Raisins (1/3 cup)
* Konyakku Jelly Powder (10 gm)
Payasam Gula Melaka (Step 1)
1. Heat up ghee in cooking pan, add cashew nuts and raisins. Stir fry until the nuts and raisins are
golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a different pot, boil the sago in water until it is translucent.
3. Mix Fernleaf Full Cream Milk Powder, Gula Melaka and cardamom powder into the pot of sago.
4. Add Safron (optional) into the pot, stir and slowly boil until it thickens.
5. Add in cashew nuts and raisins. Serve.
1. Follow Step 1
2. Continue stirring and add on the Konyakku jelly powder
3. Stir until the Payasam thickens. Remove from heat.
4. Leave the Payasam to cool for a short while before spooning the mixture into the jelly mould.
5. Store in the refrigerator until the pudding is firm. Serve with cashew nuts and raisins.
Payasam Ice Cream
1. Follow Step 1
2. Add in saffron (optional) and continue stirring until the Payasam thickens.
3. Remove from heat and leave the Payasam to cool.
4. Divide the cashew nuts and raisins equally into the ice cream mould.
5. Fill in the mould with the Payasam and store it in the freezer until completely frozen. Serve.
“Deepavali which is around the corner is an auspicious time to share laughter, blessings and good food with friends and family. For those who enjoy traditional desserts but are mindful of what they eat, we’ve created ideas that are not only a fun twist to the ordinary, but also healthier with the added nutrition of pure and natural dairy from New Zealand,” said Mr Martin Soong, Marketing Manager of Fernleaf at Fonterra Brands Malaysia.
He added that using Fernleaf Full Cream Milk and Gula Melaka to this recipe for Payasam gives it a richer depth and flavour compared to the classic recipe, and enjoying it in different ways such as in a jelly pudding and an ice cream adds more fun to the festivities.
I was truly inspired at the recipe demostration event to rediscover the joys of enjoying Payasam and to find out how versatile and nutritious dairy can be as part of my daily diet.
You can also try the delicious Payasam desserts for yourself as Fernleaf will be sharing the delightful recipes through their TV, print and radio advertisements, as well as distributing recipe cards at Fernleaf’s Deepavali Onground Activities.
* 15 October 2016, 4:30 pm – Little India, Jalan Leboh Ampang, Kuala Lumpur (in front Bank Simpanan Nasional)
* 21 & 22 October 2016, 5:30 pm – Stadium Shah Alam (near the main stage)
* 26 & 27 October 2016, 5:30 pm – Little India, Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur (opposite Lotus Hotel next to the Water Fountain Structure)
Fernleaf, made by New Zealand dairy giants Fonterra is the No.1 best selling full cream milk powder brand in Malaysia. It is also popularly known as the iconic Anchor brand in the rest of the world. Fernleaf has been in Malaysia for 30 years and is loved by consumers for its rich and creamy taste. Its popularity keeps growing as Malaysians become more discerning of their choices and look for pure dairy goodness from grass-fed cows.
Fernleaf Full Cream Milk Powder is formulated to support your family’s active lifestyle and it has two variations – Fernleaf Full Cream Regular available in 1.8KG (RRP RM53.45), 900g (RRP RM27.80) and 550g (RRP RM17.50) and Fernleaf Instant available in 1.1KG (RRP RM31.00) and 550g (RRP RM16.50) in most leading supermarkets.
More photos at FOOD Malaysia facebook page, a Malaysian food blogger since 2010