FB : Secai Marche
What is your favourite festive kuih for Chinese New Year?
Impress your family or friends with this easy-to-make sweet treat. I use Beni Nagomi 極甘 Japanese sweet potato to make these Glutinous Rice Balls and Fried Sesame Balls, which look very auspicious in its golden yellow colour.
The Beni Nagomi 極甘 is a Japanese sweet potato variant, which is carefully cultivated in the warm regions of Ibaraki, Japan.
It is considered one of the most delicious and sweetest Yakiimo (meaning baked sweet potato in Japanese) from Japan. The farmer aged the Beni Nagomi 極甘 sweet potatoes in a special temperature warehouse for over 3 months, before they are meticulously baked in an infrared oven to optimise the taste and sweetness of the Yakiimo. During this aging process, no artificial additives are added.
Sweet potatoes are found to be rich in vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, and have been named the ‘healthiest of all vegetables’ by The Center for Science in the Public Interest, an American non-profit watchdog and consumer advocacy group for safer and healthier food. Some of the benefits include :
* Good source of vitamins and minerals, in particularly for Vitamin A in its raw form and once cooked, small variable changes in micronutrient density occur to include a higher content of vitamin C.
* High quality source of protein with no saturated fats.
* Source of complex carb to help fuel your body.
* Has high starch content but they are considered a low-glycaemic index (GI) food by the American Diabetes Association. This makes it a healthy food choice for diabetics.
* One Japanese sweet potato offers 4.6 grams of dietary fibre, which is the frontrunner for keeping your digestive system healthy.
Baking is the most traditional way to enjoy the sweet potatoes in Japan. Here are the methods how I make the Chinese New Year desserts with Beni Nagomi 極甘 :
1. Peel off the skin and cut the sweet potatoes into small cubes. This will greatly reduce the steaming time.
2. If there is no resistance when inserting a fork into the sweet potato, it is fully cooked. Then mash it thoroughly.
3. Add in glutinous rice flour gradually and adjust accordingly. The finished dough should be soft but does not stick to your hand.
4. Roll a bigger sweet potato dough ball, wet it in the water completely, and fully cover it with raw sesame seeds. Press gently with your palm to firm up the coating.
5. Deep fried the sesame balls until bright orange.
Interested? Do check out these promotion for Raw Japanese Sweet Potatoes and Yakiimo Beni Nagomi 極甘 that are happening from 15 January until 28 February 2021 :
* Promo Price RM25.80/kg (normal price RM28.80/kg) – Jaya Grocer (Starling, Intermark, 163, Pearl Point, Sunway Geo, Centrepoint, Main Place, and One Utama) and De Market
* Promo Price RM13.80/pkt (normal price RM15.50/pkt) – AEON Max Value (Desa Parkcity, Bangsar, and United Point)
* Promo Price RM19.8/kg (normal price RM22/kg) – enjoy 10% discount off for all online purchase at https://secai-marche.com/buyer/login/user_login
* Special add-on promotion to Spin & Win for more prizes at selected outlets and dates :
– Jaya Grocer Main Place (Every Sat & Sun from 10 am to 6 pm, till end Feb 2021)
– Jaya Grocer Sunway Geo (Every Mon, Fri & Sun from 10 am to 6 pm, till end Feb 2021)
You can also get these Raw Japanese Sweet Potatoes and Yakiimo Beni Nagomi 極甘 at AEON B.I.G. (Mid Valley, Wangsa Maju, Subang Jaya, Jaya One, Kepong, and Bukit Rimau) from 18 January until 28 February 2021 for Promo Price RM13/pkt (normal price RM14.50/pkt).