MY Potatoes USA
FB : MY Potatoes USA
It is Christmas season again and everyone is looking forward to welcoming some seasonal cheers. This has been a challenging year with the pandemic; hence most of us are not planning to attend any major Christmas parties.
Many of us will appreciate the opportunity to just be able to sit down and enjoy healthy and nutritious meals with family and friends during the festive holidays. While going through the dishes you plan to prepare for Christmas, here are a few wonderful U.S. potato-inspired festive dishes!
So, what is your favourite U.S. Potatoes dish for Christmas? U.S. Potatoes are not only nutritious and healthy, but also versatile. You can concoct a wide repertoire of recipes for the holidays ranging from soup, appetisers, hot dishes to even desserts!
Have Yourself a Healthy Merry Christmas!
According to dietitian Indra Balaratnam, Christmas time could be a stressful and over- eating experience. “Yes, meals should look appealing but never ignore the healthy attributes aspects of your festive dishes. Dishes can be both delicious and nutritious. A good way to add beneficial nutrients to your holiday meal is to include U.S. Potatoes”, explained Indra.
U.S. Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C (30% of the DV), which plays a key role in supporting the body’s immune system. It’s always good to have natural Vitamin C even during the festive season – and all year.
U.S. Potatoes gives you 15% of your daily potassium serving, and that’s more than what a medium banana provides. Potassium is a mineral that is an electrolyte for muscles to function well. It gets lost when you sweat, so it needs to be replenished to keep your performance optimal.
A medium U.S. Potato with the skin on also provides 2 grams of fiber. Fiber has many benefits, one of which helps you to feel comfortably full for longer. “This can help you to avoid over-eating and unnecessary weight gain during the festive holidays when one tends to over-eat or if your job is keeping you sedentary”, said Indra.
One medium U.S. Potato gives you 110 calories of easy-to-digest calories, making it a good choice food to provide you that extra to fuel the demands of your active routines during Christmas. It has zero fat, so it won’t weigh you down and great for a “less fat” Christmas feasting!
If you are planning to have a more active 2021, U.S. Potatoes can help to provide the complex carbohydrates, potassium, fiber and vitamin C you need to perform at your best.
Indra shares two healthy and nutritious recipes for the Christmas holidays and welcomes all to try for this coming festive celebrations :
U.S. Russet Potatoes Mushroom Cheese Casserole (serves 6)
2 medium size Russet U.S. Potatoes (approximately 450 grams), thinly sliced
200 grams white button mushrooms
100 grams yellow onion, thinly sliced
15 grams butter
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon wheat flour
250 ml non-fat milk
120 grams low-fat cheese, or 6 slices low fat cheese slices
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Chopped English parsley, for garnishing
• Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
• Line the thinly sliced U.S. potatoes into a lightly buttered baking dish.
• Melt butter in a small pot over low-medium heat.
• Add in onion and mushroom cook stirring occasionally until tender for about 5 minutes.
• Stir in flour, then slowly add in the skim milk and stir till well combined. Bring to a slight simmer.
• Stir in low fat cheese, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
• Pour mixture into prepared baking dish then spread out to coat the thinly sliced potatoes.
• Bake in the oven uncovered for 45 minutes.
• After 45 minutes cooking time, cover with foil and continue to bake another 10 minutes more.
• Garnish with finely chopped English parsley.
Honey Mustard Glazed Hasselback U.S. Potatoes (serves 6)
1 kg U.S. Potatoes (mix of U.S. Russets, U.S. Red Potatoes and U.S. Blue-Purple Potatoes)
2 teaspoons olive oil
Honey Mustard Glaze :
2 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
4 teaspoons honey
4 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons mustard
Pinch of salt and crushed black pepper
• Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
• Wash and pat dry the U.S. Potatoes.
• Slice the U.S. Potatoes thinly Hasselback-style and arrange on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
• Lightly brush the U.S. Potatoes with a little olive oil and bake for 30 minutes.
• Mix all the ingredients for the honey mustard glaze into a small bowl.
• After 30 minutes, remove the potatoes from the oven and brush with half the honey mustard glaze over the U.S. Potatoes and return to bake 10 more minutes.
• After 10 minutes, brush with some more of the lemon honey glaze & bake for another 10 minutes till cooked.
• Remove from oven and garnish with a dash of salt, black pepper, finely chopped.
Related Post : Easy Recipe Baked Cheese U.S. Potatoes